Total Pageviews

Monday 15 July 2013

Study Abroad: Why I chose Germany

It all started in my engineering holidays, before starting of my third year. I saw all my seniors, with whom I had a good rapport, worrying about their careers. Few were trying to get placed in campus placements, few were flying to America, Australia, etc. while few were really didn’t knew what to do !! It is after watching that “third” category of people I started worrying, because even I didn’t know what to do later.

I was not interested in doing a job, I didn’t love the idea of it. Hence, the only option left was a Masters degree. I thought it would buy me time to really decide on what I really wanted to do, but also because of the interest my Professor had created in me about my subject – Instrumentation.

I graduated in Bachelors in Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering from Keshav Memorial Institute of Technology, affiliated to Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU), Hyderabad.

The next step was deciding my destination. America was too obvious. UK and Australia followed it. Canada, New Zealand and Singapore were next in the line for any person dreaming about studying abroad whether it is a Masters Degree, MBA or any other equivalent degree. I was not against them, but I was of the opinion I need to do something that is different. An online search resulted in many emails from various consultancies. I visited them collected a lot of info from them. I was surprised to know that Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Cyprus, Italy and Germany were emerging as new hot spots for Higher Education for Indian students. Among all of them, Germany was leading.

The advantages I found about Germany were : 1. Free Education 2. Stable Economy and 3. Broader Job search 4. Safety 5. Opportunities

1. Free Education : Though most of the above stated countries give free education, the educational standards in Germany were far higher than any one of them. The German engineering is world famous. From cars to heavy machinery, their quality is unmatched. Though in reality you will be charged moderately for the foreign student services, there is no tuition fee.

2. Stable Economy : It was during the time of recession, when most of the employees working abroad lost jobs, students weren’t finding any opportunities and heading back to their motherland that I had make my decision. All the major countries were dwindling. It would be really hard to convince my parents about this if I was to pursue my Masters in any of these primary masters destinations.

3. Broader Job search : For a student completing his degree in any country in the Euro zone, has an opportunity to search for job and work in 17 countries around. Though the procedure for this is other thing, generally the visa issued for a student allows him to travel to surrounding 17 countries. After completing the education, an extended 18 months job search visa given to him to search for a job, again in the surrounding 17 countries. Be it holidaying or work, isn’t it sweet for a student ?

4. Safety : Also, safety of a student is really important. The racist attacks were rampant in UK, USA and Australia  which also resulted in death of several Indian students. I found Germany unlike them. This was a feedback I got from people who were already studying here. I got into touch with them on Facebook.

5. Opportunities : I happened to read an article of a German ambassador calling talented Indian students to study and work in their country. According to the article there were more than a million job vacancies then. Also, from students here I got to know that people’s lifestyle resulted in less young population. It was threatening for the future of their country.

All these factors made me choose Germany.  I went to study my masters at Hochschule Bremen, Germany.

This is the first part of Yeshwanth Eturi’s, experience in Germany.
We will be bringing you the next part of his German experience in the following article.

Source:- JamMag

No comments:

Post a Comment